Blepharoplasty can be medically necessary if excessive tissue around the eyes interferes with your vision, but you may also elect to have cosmetic blepharoplasty to improve your appearance.
Reasons for cosmetic blepharoplasty
An eyelid lift is one of the most common cosmetic procedures. Cosmetic blepharoplasty can rejuvenate your face and restore an energetic and youthful appearance to your eyes. By removing folds of skin around the upper eyelids, your surgeon can restore the natural contour of your eyes making you look years younger.
If you have noticed increasing puffiness or bags under your eyes, you may want to consider cosmetic blepharoplasty to remove fatty deposits from your lower eyelid area. You can also choose to have a lower eyelid lift if your lower lids have begun to sag and expose the white part of your eye underneath the iris.
Questions for your ophthalmologist
If you feel that cosmetic eyelid surgery is right for you, talk with your ophthalmologist at your next comprehensive eye exam. Make a list of questions before your appointment so you can prepare for your conversation. You may want to use a few of these:
- Do you perform cosmetic blepharoplasty, or do I need a referral to a plastic surgeon?
- Do I have a medical need for an eyelid lift or would my eyelid surgery be cosmetic?
- Do I need treatment for one eye or both eyes?
- Should I expect my vision to improve after the procedure?
- Will insurance cover any portion of my surgery?
- What fees should I anticipate when estimating my out-of-pocket expenses?
- What are the risks of blepharoplasty?
- Will I need to have a second treatment in the near or distant future? (American Society of Plastic Surgeons).