Many hospitals and healthcare facilities are delaying elective surgeries and procedures, but it’s important to remember your eye procedure may be essential for your vision and health.
COVID-19 Delays Elective Procedures
Did your eye surgery get delayed because of the pandemic? With the resurgence of COVID-19, many hospitals are reallocating resources and delaying elective eye procedures like cataract surgery and glaucoma procedures.
The term “elective” does not refer to the importance of the procedure. Instead, it simply distinguishes between surgeries that are for emergencies and those that can be scheduled in advance.
For example, non-emergency hernia repair and knee replacement surgery are considered elective procedures because you can schedule them for a future date. Many eye surgeries are also labeled elective. However, each of these procedures can be essential for optimal health.
Importance of Prompt Eye Procedures
Low vision can prevent you from living an active lifestyle and doing the things you love. A canceled or delayed eye procedure means you may experience:
- Challenges with reading or driving
- Difficulty doing tasks around your home
- Increased risk of falls or fractures
Consider an Ambulatory Surgery Center for Eye Procedures
Although many hospitals have delayed eye surgeries, there is another option. Scheduling your procedure at an ambulatory surgery center (ASC) may be a good choice for several reasons:
- Outpatient surgery centers dedicate themselves to specific procedures rather than emergency or trauma surgeries, so your appointment may be less likely to be affected.
- Because many ASCs are smaller than hospitals, they are easily navigable and usually have convenient parking.
- Your procedure could be more cost-effective.
- Some patients say that ASCs feel more home-like and comfortable than hospitals.
Schedule Your Cataract Surgery Before Deductible Resets
Have you met your deductible already? Schedule your procedure before the end of the calendar year to take full advantage of your health plan’s benefits. Your deductible will reset in January, so contact your insurance company to verify your status. Cataract surgery is one of the most successful surgeries performed today, and it may be less costly than you think.
Find an Ophthalmologist Near You
Call your ophthalmologist to schedule a comprehensive eye exam for you and your loved ones. A yearly eye exam will ensure that your vision is clear and you are not at risk for common eye diseases and conditions.